Right now at home we’re on a bit of a health kick. We’ve definitely been over-indulging in some really delicious meals for a while and we’re starting to see the effects of this on our waistlines. With that in mind I’ve started coming up with some healthier meals that are still packed full of flavour but cut down on fat and calories. We’ve also started a new exercise regime so we’re very focussed and hoping to remain so.
One of the first meals I’ve came up with to go with our new found motivation is this beautiful avocado grilled cheese, topped with a (lighter) fried egg. It’s so quick and simple to make too. Winner. Okay, okay, so it would probably be much more at home on a brunch menu than for dinner, but personally I believe brunch foods are the best thing ever and should not be limited to such a small window of time in the day.
I’ll confess, this was originally meant to feature a poached egg, but I royally messed it up and in my frustration just quickly fried off an egg with some Fry Light spray. Next time I make it I will definitely have perfected my egg poaching skills as I’d love more gooey yolk to dip my toastie into.
I’ve kept the flavours quite mild so that everything gets to make its mark in this dish. I opted for emmental cheese to give that nutty, subtle cheese flavour, with a bit of Welsh goat’s cheese crumbled in the centre to add a bit of salty sweetness. I threw some baby spinach in the middle too to give it a bit of extra peppery flavour. When it came to choosing a bread I went with Hovis Best of Both – feeling that white would be too heavy and dense and wholemeal alone would not hold its shape. If you want to mix it up with any of these ingredients though, please feel free! I’m sure there are loads of other flavour combos out there that would work just really well.
I cannot describe just how much I enjoyed this dish. There are so many different textures and flavours that all compliment eachother greatly. There’s a perfect mix of crunchy and creamy in each bite and the different elements to it mean that it’s impossible to get bored of the flavours. Like I said previously though, more delicious golden yolk to dip the corners of my bread into would have made it just perfect.
- 2 slices Hovis Best of Both (or other 50/50) bread
- 1/2 large avocado, sliced
- 2 slices emmental cheese
- 25g Welsh goat’s cheese
- a few leaves of baby spinach
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- Fry Light or other spray oil
- Lightly toast both sides of your bread. Spray a frying pan with some oil and place on a medium heat.
- Place one slice of emmental cheese on each slice of bread, then half of your avocado on each side. Place spinach on one side and crumble the goat’s cheese on the other. Carefully place both halves together into a sandwich.
- Once your frying pan is hot place your sandwich in the pan and press down. Leave for a minute or so then steam for upto another minute. I do this by spraying water from a bottle away from the toastie and covering with a lid or some tin foil – whatever you have handy. Remove the cover and flip over your toastie carefully, repeating the same process again.
- Once your cheese is nice and melted and your bread is toasted, take it out and put on a plate. Turn up the heat a little, spray some more Fry Light and fry your egg. Season with salt and pepper and serve on top your toastie.