Hands up who loves candied citrus peel! If you’re waving your arms frantically at your screen right now then this recipe is for you. Now those tiny little candy shards are delicious, but they’re gone in a nanosecond and you’re just left craving more. Enter candied lemon slices. Game changer, amiright?
Now, I’m not gonna lie. If you’re not really a sweet toothed kinda person then these might kinda push you over your limit. They are SWEET. But if you’re fine with the occasional sugar glazed treat then stick around and I’ll give you the secrets to getting those little golden beauties just perfect.
First lets talk prep. You need to get your lemon slices as thin as you can so they candy properly and you aren’t left with a super sharp flavour. Once you’ve done that the next step is blanching. Boil your lemon slices for around a minute and then plunge them into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. This just helps the rind go more translucent when it’s in the syrup. Keep an eye out for any changes in the syrup though. If you boil it too long or too rapidly it will start to form a caramel and will burn the rinds. Keep it low and simmering and you’ll have perfect little candied slices.
I’ve gone for a 2:1 sugar to water ratio for my syrup here. I find it gives the perfect balance between gooey/candy. To get the texture right you’re going to want to simmer for up to 90 minutes to make sure they set properly too. You could probably get away with having them bubbling in the syrup for less time but I imagine the texture would be a little more spongey soft than that lovely candy coating.
I originally made these to go with a lemon and mint loaf cake, but they are too divine to only have every once in a while on top of a cake. I’ve already planned to make them again, but this time instead of using them as a part of a dish they’re going to be the main attraction. Imagine tucking into a bowlful of candied lemon slices half-dipped in white chocolate and you’ve got an idea of what’s coming soon to LainyCakes Kitchen!
I’ve pretty much explained how to do this already, but here’s the recipe for those of you who are like me and want it written down clearly.
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 large non stick pan
- Cut your lemons into thin slices, removing any seeds as you go along. Have a pan of boiling water and a bowl of ice water ready.
- Place the lemon slices into the boiling water to blanche them for 1 minute. Remove and plunge immediately into an ice bath.
- Make your syrup. In your large pan place 1 cup water and 2 cups sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a very low simmer. Once the sugar has dissolved add your lemon slices.
- Leave on simmer for upto 90 minutes.
- Carefully remove each slice carefully from the pan and place on a lined tray to cool and set.
- (Put the syrup in a squeezy bottle after you’re done. It goes great with tea, cake, pancakes… you name it!)